Ahoy, It’s A Boy

Man oh man. I have spent hours trying to pen this post.  I have started and stopped several times and I have deleted and started over a couple of times as well. If you don’t follow me on Facebook and or Instagram then you may not know about the craziness that happened about two weeks ago.  I was going to give a detailed account of the surprise, joy, panic, fear, exhaustion that was June 20 through July 3, 2013 but I have decided that I do not want to relive it again at the moment. I just want to revel in the fact that all is well now.


Here is a short synopsis of recent events:

My wife gave birth at 2:17 am on June 20th at 36 weeks gestation…almost in the front seat of my car. Seriously. If we had been any further from the hospital or if it had not been 2:00 in the morning then I would have been delivering a baby on the side of the road.  She called her doctor at 1:46 in the morning because of pain. Then her water broke. We rushed to the hospital and our son was born at 2:17. 31 minutes after her water broke. Crazy. I was actually in the lobby of the emergency room waiting for my mom to pick up my other son when our next son was born.

Yes, I missed it.

Then about an hour later we were notified that there were complications. Our son was having trouble breathing and they found blood in his lungs. They were transferring him immediately to the Medical University Level Three NICU. I have never known fear like that. I did not know if my son was going to live or die. That is a feeling that no person should ever feel.

Later that day he was stable. But not well. He had pneumonia and at 36 weeks, his lungs were under developed. I will not go into all of it, but another thing no person should ever have to deal with is seeing their newborn baby with tubes and wires coming from every which direction. It took 4 days before we were made to feel that he was out of danger or perishing.


That was the longest 4 days of my life.

Even then, though, he was not out of the woods.  Every day he got a bit better and every day my hope that life would get back to “normal” (normal for having a newborn that is) was reinforced. Leaving our baby at the hospital while we went home each night for a little rest was incredibly hard. I was close to breaking. My wife must be a much stronger person than me because she basically had to keep her sh!t together and then help me keep mine together.


But finally the sun rose. Finally prayers were answered. Finally tubes and wires and alarms and beeping and UV lights and needles and nurses and hand sanitizer and all those things were left Downtown and we returned home with our boy.

I know that many of you have been there and understand. I know many of you haven’t been through anything like this, but still sympathize. And I thank you.

For those of you that prayed, commented, supported, helped, stopped by, hung out, brought iced coffee, sent notes, texted, loved…you are all awesome and I love you.


To the staff of the Medical University of South Carolina’s Children’s Hospital…You are amazing. If there is a word or phrase that means better that amazing, like ultra-amazing, then that is what you are. And I love you too.

To family and friends who have dropped what they are doing to help us out…You are awesome and I love you.

To Greyson and Charlie…I know it was hard for you guys. I’m sorry that you had to experience that and I’m sorry that mommy and daddy had to leave you guys for long periods of time. Now that we are all home we will make it up with lots of cuddle time.

To Samuel Stokes, Baby Sam, Sammy, Sambo Stoker, The Cyclone… I love you man. Don’t ever put your mom and I through anything like that again…





9 comments to Ahoy, It’s A Boy

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>